Government of India
Ministry of Environment and Forests
CGO Complex, Lodi Road,
New Delhi - 110 003
Subject: Expert-Committee on Bt Brinjal and related issues.
1. In accordance with the decision taken in the GEAC meetings held on 1.6.2006 under the chairmanship of Shri B S Parsheera, Additional Secretary and Chairman GEAC, it has been decided to set up an Expert-Committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. Deepak Pental, Vice Chancellor, Delhi University to review the feedback received on the Bt brinjal proposal submitted by M/s Mahyco.
2. The Composition of the Sub-Committee shall be as follows: -
a) Dr Deepak Pental, Vice Chancellor, Delhi University, Chairman
b) Dr Mohan Ram Retd Prof, Dept of Botany, Delhi University.
c) Dr C R Babu, former Pro-VC, Delhi University and retired Prof, Dept of Botany, Delhi University.
d) Dr. V. Prakash, Director, Central Food Technology and Research Institute, Mysore & Member GEAC
e) Dr B Sesikaran, Director National Institute Nutrition, Hyderabad.
f) Dr. P Anand Kumar, Principal Scientist, National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology, (NRCPB), Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi & Member GEAC
g) Dr Rakesh Tuli, Director, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow & Member GEAC
h) Dr Mathura Rai, Director, Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, P. O. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005.—rep of ICAR
i) Prof M N Murthy, Professor of Economics, Institute of Economic Growth, University Enclave, New Delhi & Member GEAC
j) Prof. S. Parasuraman, Director, TATA Institute of Social Science, Mumbai.
k) Representative of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
l) Dr. T.V. Ramanaiah, Director, Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi & Member Secretary RCGM
m) Dr R Warrier, Additional Director, Ministry of Environment & Forests, New Delhi Member Secretary GEAC
3. The Expert-Committee shall have the following terms of reference:
a) To evaluate comments received from the various stakeholders vis-à-vis the biosafety data generated by the Company and available scientific /technical data/literature from studies conducted by various national and international institutions.
b) Suggest additional studies (if any) to be conducted.
c) To evaluate the adequacy of the protocol proposed for LST and recommend additional safeguards (if any).
d) Recommend protocol for socio economic studies.
e) Any other recommendation on related aspects.
4. The Chairman may co-opt other members with required expertise in the Committee as and when required.
5. If considered necessary the Committee may also invite and hear the views of the stakeholders.
6. The expenditure on TA/DA for the non-official members of the Expert-Committee will be met from the Biodiversity Conservation Scheme. The non- official members of the above l Committee will be entitled for TA/DA including air fare as per their entitlement as per SR 190 and sitting charges of Rs. 600/- per day for attending the meeting.
7. This is issued with the approval of the Competent Authority in the Ministry of Environment and Forests and with concurrence of Internal Finance Division (IFD) vides their Dy No 1549/IFD/06 dated 21.8.2006.
(Dr. Ranjini Warrier)
To All Members of the Expert Committee as per enclosed list.
1. Pay and account officer, Department of Environment, Forest and Wild Life, New Delhi
2. Cash Section
3. Accounts Section, Department of Environment, Forest and Wild Life, New Delhi
4. Director of Audit, Commerce, Works and Miscellaneous to AGCR building, IP Estate. New Delhi -110002
5. Sanction File
6. Sanction Register
7. All Members of the Committee
8. PPS to MEF/ PPS to MOS/ PPS to Secretary E&F.