Government of India
Ministry of Environment and Forests
New Delhi-110 003.
Dated, the 24th March, 2006
O R D E R
Subject: Constitution of a Committee of Technical Experts with respect to the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India dated 17.2.2006 in the matter of W.P. (C) No.657 of 1995 on Management of Hazardous Wastes - regarding.
As per the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India dated 17.2.2006 in the matter of W. P. (C) No.657 of 1995 on Management of Hazardous Wastes, the following Committee of Technical Experts is constituted:
1) Dr. Prodipto Ghosh
Secretary (Environment & Forests) - Chairman
2) Rear Admiral P.V. Damodaran (Retd.)
New Delhi - Member
3) Rear Admiral Rajeev Paralikar (Retd.) -Member
4) Rear Admiral R.M. Bhatia (Retd.). - Member
5) Dr. Virendra Misra, ITRC, Lucknow - Member
6) Prof. S.C. Misra, IIT, Kharagpur - Member
7) Dr. V. Anantha Subramanian, IIT, Madras. - Member
8) Dr. H.N. Saiyed, Director, National Institute of - Member
Occupational Health (NIOH), Ahmedabad.
9) Shri R.K. Garg, Chairman, Cochin Minerals and - Member
Rutile Minerals, Mumbai (Retd.)
10) Shri K.D. Chowdhury, General Manager, MECON, Ranchi. - Member
11) Dr. S.K. Mukherjee, Consultant, Ozone Cell, - Member
Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF).
12) Dr. V. Rajagopalan, Chairman, - Member Convenor
Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB),
2. Terms of Reference of the Committee are:
i) The Committee shall determine whether the infrastructure as existing at Alang Ship Breaking Yards with regard to ship breaking activities is adequate. The Committee shall also ascertain whether the same are operating efficiently.
ii) If according to the Committee, they are not adequate, it shall indicate the deficiencies and shall also suggest remedial measures to upgrade the infrastructure facilities
iii) The Committee shall review the various guidelines on ship breaking and recommend whether or not any enhancements/amendments are necessary.
iv) The Committee can hold meetings and undertake site visits as and when necessary.
v) The Committee may co-opt or invite for its meetings any other experts or concerned persons for the purpose of carrying out the above functions.
vi) The Committee shall submit its report to the Hon’ble Supreme Court within 8 (eight) weeks.
3. The expenses of the Committee including TA/DA, honorarium etc of the non official members shall be met by the Ministry of Environment & Forests as per the Rules.
4. This issues with the concurrence of Internal Finance Division vide their Dy. No.534/IFD/06 Dated 24-3-2006.
Joint Secretary to the Government of India
1. Chairman and all Members of the Technical Committee.
2. IF Division.
3. PS to Minister for Environment and Forests
4. PS to Minister of State for Environment & Forests.
5. PPS to Secretary (E&F).
6. PPS to Additional Secretary (PA-I).
7. PS to JS (RKV).
8. Guard File.